Monday, November 7, 2011

Somewhere Over The Rainbow

This morning on my way to the gym I was greeted by a scenery of rainbows and sprinkles.  And, just yesterday I was listening to one of my favorite renditions of Somewhere Over The Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole.  I began to think about what rainbows mean to me and the first thing that popped into my head was imagination!

Try to think back to the first time you saw The Wizard of Oz, or the first time you heard Judy Garland sing Somewhere Over The Rainbow.  My guess is that you were at the very ripe age of imagination.  And by that I simply mean young, innocent, and full of creative thoughts. 

I love to imagine things.  I imagine watching Jim birdie every hole while I walk the golf course.  I imagine my dream house when I see one similar.  I imagine what kind of car I will have when I finally get to choose for myself.  I imagine what my beautiful little girl will grow up to look like.  I love to imagine. 

Let me make a list for you of some great ways to bring imagination back into your life.  I feel it is rather important for adults to be able to imagine things.  It brings color and description to words and thoughts.  It allows us to remain child-like or it takes us back to our favorite childhood places and memories.

1.  Reading takes you to imaginary places.  Whether the book is one of fiction or non-fiction, we still have opportunities to imagine the people, the places, the feelings, clothing, smells, etc.  We see words on a page and can create our own version of what the characters voices sound like or how they dress.  We can imagine the places they live or the cars they drive.  Many times, I am disappointed after reading a book I loved when the imagination ends.  It's such a let-down!

2.  Spend time with a child.  I've been doing this a lot lately - lots of time with Abby!  She is just at the beginning of imagination explosion.  I can begin to see her pretending with things and clothing and toys.  I can see the imagination gears in her brain spinning in super warp speed as she looks at something new and different.  I can even see the imagination contained in her facial expressions on a daily basis.  She is going to be full of imagination and therefore so will I!

3.  Be creative.  Try writing creatively, painting or sketching.  You may find that if you try hard enough or just give it a shot that the imaginative part of your brain will dust off it's cobwebs and get down to business.  Go somewhere quiet, the library, a private room in your home, a park and just try to be creative and use that imagination.

4.  Meditate.  No, you don't have to do a whole bunch of yoga or utter strange guttural noises to get the benefit of meditation.  You may find that you become more relaxed and less stressed.  Not only that but you may find that by rejuvenation yourself you have the energy to become more creative.  The whole point of meditation is to allow the mind and body to relax.  Well, for me the first few minutes of that relaxation process is usually full of thought.  If you can just grab on idea and use it creatively you can begin your brand new journey of imagination.

5.  Go to a theme park, such as Disney World.  I firmly believe as adults we still need to experience certain activities and places as if we were still children.  Find the time to go to your local theme park or even the zoo and do child-like things.  Buy a balloon, eat some candy, skip a little, and get excited about where you are.  You will find that your imagination will run absolutely wild after you do this!  Or, at least I hope you'll find this so.



So go out and try something to get your imagination flowing.  Find the other end of your rainbow and check out the blue birds, the lemon drops, and wake up where the clouds are far away!  Put a smile back in your soul!!!!

No comments: