Wednesday, November 9, 2011

My Favorite i-Pad Apps

Like most of you out there I am becoming more technically advanced every day.  When the iPad emerged on the technology scene, my first words about it were, "who needs an over-sized iPod?".  Well, within the last year I have been blessed to receive two of my favorite tech items.  My iPhone and my iPad.  Well, I actually share the iPad with Abby!!!  Yes, we caved and are not regretting it one bit.

I have a ton of apps, like most iPad users.  Most of them free, which is just wonderful!  But, some of my apps have been paid for.  The most expensive app I've ever paid for, a couple at $9.99.  So far those are definitely worth it.

Below find a list and description of some of my favorites.  Most are also available for the iPhone, iPod Touch, and Mac computers too!  Try them out, or go try an iPad.  You may end up liking it more than you think. 

The Weather Channel-  Since we travel a lot this is a must.  A free app that will give you local forecast information as well as several saved locations.  Get videos of weather news from around the globe.  Get alerted to severe weather conditions in your area.  Great for quick local radar and 15 minute forecast breakdowns!

Yahoo Fantasy Football '11- Yes, I play fantasy football and LOVE IT!  This app helps me keep on top of my fantasy teams, players, stats and weekly head-to-head match-ups.  Another free, wonderful app. 






Any of the Story Chimes- These are mostly free but can run up to $3.99 per story.  I have about five on my iPad for Abby to choose from.  She can follow along as a narrator reads a story and then turn the page on cue.  She can also, eventually, read the stories herself.  Some have a cute twist on traditional stories!

PBS Kids- Parents out there, if any of your kids watch the shows on PBS you will love this app!  It offers shorts from each show.  Most are 1-3 minutes in length and offer about 15 different choices per show.  Abby just loves Super Why and the Wild Kratts!  The only downside to this, you need to be connected to the internet all the time.  If your iPad doesn't have a data plan you will need some sort of a Wi-Fi connection.

Pocket Frogs- A totally mindless game that allows you to create new breeds and combinations of frogs.  Free and fun, find gifts, sell, and gift to other users.

 



Flight Track Pro- Another great tool for all you travelers.  At $9.99 this app gives you flight information and tracking all over the globe as well as maps of domestic terminals, and access to tons of other flight information.  The regular version is $3.99 I believe (don't quote me) and is nice as well!

 


Scrabble- Spend $9.99 and never lose a tile again.  Great for taking with you on the go and for having a dictionary at your finger tips for all those highly contested words!

 


Mint.com- Just like the wonderful free to use website only on your iPad.  Get notices, follow your budget, see all account transactions, and so many wonderful financial tips.

Houzz- This one is free and inspirational.  For the design buff or anyone making any kind of change in their home.  See pictures of designer and custom homes worldwide, with design tips, and items for purchase.


Also wonderful are the apps for Twitter, Facebook, and Pottery Barn (ditch your paper catalog)!

Well, that's all for today.  I hope you find something new and wonderful for your iPad.  I'm sure you'll hear more about my favorites in the future!!!!



No comments: