Thursday, June 17, 2010

From The Inside Looking Out

So yesterday was an amazing day! One of the benefits of being at a major event such as the US Open is the player guest armbands. Jim received two armbands for all of his practice rounds, which allow anyone wearing them to walk INSIDE the ropes along with him and the others in his group. Mom and I were the fortunate recipients on Tuesday. All I can say is what an experience. I have never and am sure I will never experience anything like that again in my life. I hope that similar scenarios occur in the future, but I believe the first time IS the best.What an amazing location as well. Pebble Beach! My life has in essence, come full circle. See, for those that don't know, this is where my Dad was the day I was born. July 17th, 1980 he was on a golf trip with some buddies. They stayed in a condo on the 18th green (which are still there by the way), a round of golf cost $35 and the room for the night cost $90. Today a round of golf costs upward of $400 and the rooms cost upward of $700 a night! Dad is getting a gift this week too. He will have both his daughters, his "son" (one he never had), and his newest Granddaughter with him on Father's Day. The best part I'm sure is the cute little scooter he has been given for the week. He might mow some people over in the next few days, but he'll see Jim play a complete round of golf for the very first time! It is very hard for me to describe to you all of the emotions I had while walking inside the ropes with Jim. One of the most amazing sights was actually what you see as you look out. I imagine this is how zoo critters feel as we stare at them through windows and fences. Thousands of people stood behind a rope as I walked inside it. They took pictures, not of me, but with me in them. They were watching my husband play golf. Something that most of us have seen many times. These few were excited to see Jim for the first time. One person asked me if I was with Jim...well, we played our practice round with Jim Furyk on Tuesday, so I simply said "yes, the OTHER Jim". I got a smile and a chuckle, but now that person knows our Jim too! The house is getting more crowded as we've had two additions...Ashley Cooper and Jim Mahoney, both members and friends from Trump National in Bedminster, NJ. We enjoyed a wonderful meal together, along with Jim's agent Peter Webb, and went to bed with dreams of what the next day would bring.

No comments: