Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Boil Away

Lafayette, Louisiana was our next stop. We were so fortunate last year to have a wonderful host family for our very first private housing experience. The Richards, all seven of them plus, are amazing people. Jim and I certainly couldn't wait for our return visit. We had a wonderful week together. The weather was strange, first rainy and hot, and then freezing cold and windy. Jim played well and we enjoyed a full week of golf. Our week ended Sunday afternoon with a crayfish boil! This is something, since I'm not from the deep south, that I only enjoy once a year. The crayfish come live in large sacks about 10-15 pounds a sack. Then you boil them with a whole range of Cajun spices and top it off with a cold beer and spicy veggies. I refrained from the cold beer this year, boo. They are messy, but remind me of very, very, very small lobsters. The best part was the corn on the cob! What a neat experience though. We were fortunate to celebrate two birthdays that day and I thoroughly enjoyed the cookie-cake. After all was said and done it was playtime, trampolines, footballs, etc. Not for me of course!
Jim and our host, Vance, getting messy!
Most of the gang singing birthday praises
Jim had a friend who for a limited time, liked just the same beer he did!
The whole lot, in the pot, before their doom
The fun and games of a lazy spring afternoon

1 comment:

Mao Mao Kitty said...

Just curious, do you still eat corn one row at a time? I remember that from summers past and still think of it whenever there's corn around!